Monday, July 18, 2011

Like a Child

This morning. when I got to my friend's home, their year-old baby is eating iced gem cookies. When I was younger, I eat iced gem cookies this way: bite off the cookie first, then the icing.


E yung mallows? Eat the chocolate coating first. When it's bare, eat the marshmallow, then the cookies. Nips? Crack it open like butong pakwan. Eat the coating, then the chocolate. See, hindi lang Oreo ang may tamang way ng pag-kain. Give me some, one of these days and I'll give you actual demo.


I also liked the now-rare Sunshine green peas, Sultana cookies, and pacensia.




Remember Magic Pops? 
I recently gave a friend one pack, which he opened and shared with his office mates. 
They had a good time. Try it!


    Later, I discovered that if you pop galletas in your mouth together with Hershey's Kisses, chew it slowly, your palate's going to have quite an experience.


These days, the most accessible simple joy I have is eating Ministop Sundae Cone with Mr. Chips.



Sabi nila, basta bata, mababaw lang ang kaligayahan. Para sa kin, ok lang maging mababaw. Basta maligaya.

Abbey told me via SMS one day, "I think bottom line and ultimate currency ay happiness." I agree. Abbey's dream about eating chocolates with youngest brother Paeng reminds me to be a child again. (Read more)
Deepak Chopra said, "The return of the magical comes with the return of innocence."
In the Bible Jesus says, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."
Vincent Peale says, "People of an artless nature seem to find happiness. By artless I mean people who are childlike in their mental attitudes, who are great enough to think childlike thoughts. A child has a sense of wonder and perceptiveness that brings happiness."

Most would search for happiness like it's a goal to be pursued. When you are young, you say, I'll be happy when I grow up." When you're grown up, you say, "I'll be happy when I am wed." When you're wed, you say, "I'll be happy when I retire." Retirement comes and for you, happiness still does not come.

Happiness is in the present. Happiness is in small things. A favorite snack, a good read, a hug, sunset, shared laughter, quiet moments, etc. It's different for every person. Have a dose of these small things a few times each day, then you'll find yourself looking forward to the next day.

I'd like to believe that if you want to be happy, make somebody else happy first. Then, the happiness flows back to you. 

Smile!


- verna












2 comments:

  1. Oh. This post reminds me of the show Unwrapped! Pinapalabas ito dati sa Lifestyle Network (Lifestyle Wowork for Paeng) tuwing hapon / gabi. Napapanood ko siya kapag umuwi ako ng maaga from UP.

    Naalala ko rin yung status ko sa FB dati bout childhood sweets! All time favorite ko yung Iced Gem talaga saka yung Orange Swits! May Iced Gem na tinda dito sa BPI tapos yung Orange Swits naman meron pa ako nabibili sa buses along Edsa para siguro pang-libang kapag super traffic sa Edsa. Favorite din ito ng officemate ko dati (Si LJ *wink wink! at dinadalhan niya ako nito dati - ops! huwag tapakan ang buhok ko!). 2 weeks ago may nagdala dito Fresh Mint! Yung mint green na parang bala sa pellet gun. Nilaklak ko siya. Haha!

    Infariness Verna, may link ka! Panu yan? Hehe!

    On happiness: TAMA. Super naeenjoy ko being present in the present. Nakakapagod trying to live a future you haven't earned yet or getting stuck in the past and wanting everything to go back to the way they are dati.

    Basta happy. :)

    -abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey,

    yung fresh mint nililinya ko sa bibig sa front ng teeth tapos ngingiti. ang pangit.haha. tapos maluluwa ko kasi matatawa ako. na-try mo na yun? :)

    -verna

    ReplyDelete